Connect with us
Google Adsense


Roosters go down in Grand Final

Our leading Roosters men’s side unfortunately went down to Maitland in the Black Diamond Plate Grand Final on Saturday, ending the back to back premiership dream.

Captain Andrew Scott led the team out onto the ground with a emphasis on producing a good start to the game. The Roosters were on top early with 5 of the 6 forwards scoring majors. Andrew Hodge scored the grand finals first goal. He plucked the ball from the front of the pack and ran on to kick from 48m out for the Roosters. Returning for the centre bounce the Roosters cleared again to the left pocket. Moments later Jackson Kolatchew forced a Maitland turn over and made them pay dearly, kicking the Roosters second goal. The Roosters had momentum and Maitland answered to put themselves back in the game by kicking the next 2 goals. Leading up to a high scoring quarter the Roosters answered straight back by winning the next centre clearance to produce a set play. Forwards Kolatchew and White linked and connected an inside handball to Michael Phillips to extend the Roosters lead. The Roosters continued their dominance in clearances for the quarter and a marvelous individual effort from Alex Mitchell up forward saw a beautiful left foot snap raise the Rooster fans. The run of goals continued with Andrew Scott lowering his eyes, finding the loose man in Cameron White to have the Roosters lead 32 points to 12 at quarter time.

The Roosters missed important goal opportunities in the second quarter. A high tackle on Dominic Harrod resulted in a Roosters free kick and he scored the Roosters only goal for the quarter. They kicked 1 goal 3 to Maitland’s 4 goals 1. Maitland’s accurate kicking hurt the Roosters and reduced the margin to 4 points at half time.

The game intensity didn’t drop in the second half. The Hunter rivalry and a grand final rematch lived up to expectation. The Roosters opened the second half points through Alex Mitchell following the backline rebound. A couple of injuries occurred for the Roosters early in the third quarter and cut the bench to 2 players. As the quarter went on the game tide began to swing away from the Roosters. Maitland began to square up the centre clearance totals and the Roosters defence was constantly tested. Maitland kicked the next 3 goals and put themselves into the lead.

Maitland’s run continued early in the final quarter. They shell shocked the Roosters and kicked 3 goals in the first 4 minutes. The Roosters tried to recover from their start however could only match Maitland early with 2 behinds. Defence from both teams intensified knowing the game was still up for grabs. Brandon Quinn capitalised for the Roosters with a lovely right foot snap from a 50m stoppage and reduced the margin to 20 points. With 9 minutes to go the Roosters had the game clock against them. The Roosters had to play attacking football and Maitland answered defensively by playing extra players back in defence. All the Roosters supporters and fans were unable to get the Roosters over the line with Maitland winning the grand final by 25 points.

Singleton Roosters 9.10 64 defeated by Maitland Saints 14.5 89

Arguably the grand finals best player however the Roosters best was the team’s Captain Andrew Scott. He clearly lead the way in possessions for the Roosters. He was everywhere on the ground from backs to forwards winning the hard ball. Also named in the best was his brother in arms, Andrew MacPherson. Half forwards Jarryd Ingram and Joshua Long also amongst the best, along with the brick wall back-men Luke Davis and Richard Wilkes.

Goal Kickers: Michael Phillips 2, Alex Mitchell 2, Cameron White, Jackson Kolatchew, Andrew Hodge, Dominic Harrod, Brandon Quinn

To watch full game replay click link below.

BARTV Singleton vs Maitland 2017 Grand Final


Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

Upcoming Event

Big thanks to our sponsors

More in News